This global pandemic is an unprecedented, scary disruption of our lives. We need to heed the advice to stay safe and healthy. Social distancing, restrictions on travel, and the cancelations of so many events will impact us all in ways we’re just beginning to understand. All the ingredients to create anxiety are present. But you do have a choice. You can use this time to your advantage. Last month, I wrote: “If you really want to do something radical, identify what isn’t working for you, and ask yourself what you really want instead. Then get creative and make a plan to have it!” How about now? In the next 30 days, you can actually create a noticeable difference in some area of your life. How? Begin by choosing an area of your life that you CAN control. Then, create a clear intention based on what youWANT (not what you don’t want).
Without intention, we can only react to life’s circumstances. With intention, we can leverage our human energy to work in our favor. That’s the power of clear intention! Now, more than ever, it’s important to be intentional throughout your day. To do that, you must orient yourself to things that you have complete control of.
Here’s my suggested daily checklist to maintain your health and sanity in uncertain times:
- Do something for someone else. (Call someone, write a letter, make a gift, etc.)
- Do something for yourself. (Read an inspiring book, color, sing a song, play a game, practice a musical instrument, etc.)
- Do something you don’t want to do that needs doing. (clean a closet, purge old files, finish a neglected home project, etc.)
- Do a physical exercise. (walk, exercise to a dvd or online class, ride a bike, etc.)
- Do a mental exercise. (do puzzles, learn a foreign language, play a work game, etc.)
- List your blessings, (or pause and say a prayer that includes your blessings)
Anytime you find your fears escalating, take control of your mind with this simple process:
- Ask small questions. (“What’s the one thing I can do right now to feel better?”)
- Think small thoughts. (“I love my dog/kids/cat/garden/etc.”)
- Take small actions. (“I will walk around the block 3 times.”)
- Notice small moments. (“It’s lovely to see the sunset/hear the birds singing, etc.”)
During these uncertain times, know that I’m thinking of you and continue my dedication to serving you. Through years of facilitating crisis debriefings, I know that the human spirit naturally seeks to create good from a crisis. Together, we’ll get through this.
QUOTE TO REMEMBER
“There are only two days in the year that nothing can be done. One is called Yesterday and the other is called Tomorrow. Today is the right day to Love, Believe, Do and mostly Live.” – Dalai Lama
NOTE FROM LINDA
April is my birthday month. Normally, I’d be planning a new experience to commemorate the day. Of course, April 2020 is anything but normal. Suddenly “COVID-19” has changed our world. It’s certainly not the new experience I had in mind. However, as we isolate ourselves at home, I realize that this IS a new experience. I can make of it what I choose.
What are you choosing?