No matter what you intend for the coming year, it’s smart to include a plan for keeping yourself happy. Sound silly? It’s not; it’s good mental hygiene. Plus, we now know that optimism promotes health, and is the best way to create success in any life arena. Perhaps that’s why my dad joined the Optimist Club long ago and always had a framed copy of “The Optimist Creed” on his office wall. As a child, I read it over and over as I tried to sit quietly while he finished working. I remember him being honored as a longstanding member of the club and feeling so proud that he personified its credo. Only as an adult, did I learn that he’d joined to rid himself of a negative attitude. It certainly worked. He epitomized optimism! And whether I’m preparing for a new year or a new life stage, I’m going to use this creed too. Some of the words are old-fashioned, but the elements are timeless. Imagine our world if we all followed this creed!
Would you care to join me?
(The following words are from www.optimist.org, the home of Optimist Clubs.)
THE OPTIMIST CREED
Promise Yourself to:
- Be so strong that nothing can disturb your peace of mind.
- Talk health, happiness and prosperity to every person you meet.
- Make all your friends feel that there is something special in them.
- Look at the sunny side of everything and make your optimism come true.
- Think only of the best, work only for the best, and expect only the best.
- Be as enthusiastic about the success of others as you are about your own.
- Forget the mistakes of the past and press on to the greater achievements of the future.
- Wear a cheerful countenance at all times and give every living creature you meet a smile.
- Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others.
- Be too large for worry, too noble for anger, too strong for fear, and too happy to permit the presence of trouble.
Yes, I’m an optimist! With optimism, your vision will manifest into reality. See it, as if it’s so. See it, as it will be.
Here’s to a happy year for us all!